Saturday, December 19, 2009

What's WRONG with your baby?!?!?

That's how I was greeted by another mother at storytime at the library this week. I might've really been annoyed with her lack of tact except I had already experienced similar reactions by other people and knew they were simply curious about this strange device on my little Jake's head.

Let's see, here are some of the questions I've gotten so far about Jake's DOC band to treat his plagiocephaly:

Oh my gosh, was your baby in an accident?

Does he have seizures?

Is that to protect him from bumping his head?

Did your baby fall on his head?

And my favorite when I was at the post office with Jake in his carseat... Is it a new law now that babies have to wear helmets when riding in cars?

It is really kind of funny. Before Jake got his helmet, I thought that it might really bother me to have people say these things to me about my baby. But I am surprised that I actually don't care (which it HUGE for me....I've always had the problem of caring too much about what people think). When people stare and approach me with questions, I simply answer them truthfully, happy to spread awareness about this condition. And for every person that comes to me wondering if I have a habit of dropping my child on his head, there are numerous people who come to me with stories about their son, daughter, or grandchild who has had to wear a DOC band and encourage me with the fact that they all have BEAUTIFUL heads now:-) These kids are all proof that it's all worth the hassle of wearing this silly little band 23 hours a day.




3 comments:

malitha said...

I think he's ADORABLE! Thank the Lord his condition can be corrected. :)

Aurora said...

Ugh, I remember that with Avery too. The encouraging stories were always appreciated, but some of the other comments we could have done without. Oh well...she now has a beautiful, round head! :)

Christina said...

Just catching up on all your posts..just tell him he is in infant football.. haha.. too cute.. my friend's daughter had to wear one for awhile and her head is just perfect now.. good for you for being open to all of the comments. God's grace and love is so good! Love ya