So... it looks like I might be here for awhile. Since last Thursday morning, I've been hanging out here at Baylor Medical Center, trying to keep this baby in me a little while longer. At just under 32 weeks pregnant, I was supposed to have eight more weeks to "cook" this baby. Now we're taking things day by day in hopes of giving this little baby more time to get bigger and stronger before it makes its debut.
While this is definitely not the ideal situation to be in, I can't help but be touched by the amount of support we are getting from everyone around us. Neighbors, friends, and family are pouring in offering help, bringing treats and reading material, and just being awesome. It really shows just how much people care and are willing to do what they can to make a crappy situation better. Makes this already weepy pregnant girl a little more teary-eyed.
Probably the hardest part of this whole thing is the fact that I can't be home to take care of Abby. She was my job, my whole world - everything revolved around her, and to not be able to be with her makes me incredibly sad. I may be here for a month or more, which means I may miss a whole month of my little girl's life. Already she seems to be more grown up every time she visits and is really doing well with everything that's going on. I have to say I can't be more proud of her and her sudden increase in maturity. She is going to be an AWESOME big sister when this little one finally gets to come home.
Of course, the person having to endure the most inconvenience is Matt. He already works so incredibly hard to support his family, and having to become Mr. Mom on top of that for the past few days has had to have been hard on him, although you'd never know it. He just slid into that role so easily and confidently and I think is really enjoying getting to do what I've gotten to do every day for the past 16 months. And although when Abby comes to visit me I notice her clothes may not match EXACTLY and her hair may not be combed (Matt's a guy, he doesn't pay attention to stuff like that), he is doing a perfect job taking care of our daughter. It's so nice to see their ever-increasing bond as well. Abby, of course, adored Matt before, but now she is definitely 100% a Daddy's girl - the way it should be.
It's times like these when I realize that I married the right person (not that there was any doubt). He has been such a rock and so willing to do anything I ask him to. He calls me before each visit and doesn't even get annoyed when I give him my mile-long list of things I need him to bring me. He is so strong and makes me feel better because I know he's got everything under control. I am so glad to have spent the last 5 years married to him, and I can't wait to spend the next 75 with him too.
When you are stuck in a hospital bed, you have a lot of time to think. All this thinking time has made me realize what a blessed life I do lead and how God continues to be in control and provides comfort and strength to us. It's probably going to be a long, crappy next few weeks, but we'll get through it and in the end will have a beautiful new baby to share our lives with. It'll all be worth it.
3 comments:
you're right. definitely will be worth everything you're going through right now. you're doing an awesome job... keep it up : )
you're definitely right! In 5, 10 years (or 6 months) from now, this will be just a heartbeat of time, and life will be back to normal before you know it! Abby is AMAZING, i noticed that for myself the other day... and she will for sure be a perfect big sister!!!! At least you do get to have a lot of visit time w/ her everyday and when she's home she's mostly sleeping (right?), so you're not missing much. ;-) Hang in there girly-girl! I know it's not fun, but it really will be over before you know it... and this new little baby will be so worth it all!!!
It's all worth it! Being away from your baby is hard, but once you're home she won't even remember that you were ever gone. I remember thinking I never wanted to get pregnant again because I didn't want to have to leave my baby(ies) at home... and look at me now. You'll get through this!
Post a Comment