So, last night was fun. At about 9:30 (well after I was asleep..haha, I know, I should be in a nursing home) it started getting pretty stormy. Now, I'm a bit of a weather geek, so I get excited about weather of any kind. I've been know to stay up into the wee hours of the night just to watch lightning and listen to thunder. So I was getting kind of excited about the storm outside my window when suddenly I heard this wailing sound. I realized it was the tornado siren.
Hmmm.... What to do? I wasn't sure if it was serious or not, but I figured that if they were sounding the sirens, it had to be fairly serious. Still, I didn't want to wake my sleeping baby because it is so hard to get her back to sleep. Plus, we didn't have a basement like we did in Pittsburgh (Texas apparently has expansive soil, so basements are not an option) , so I didn't know what to do with her for the duration of the storm. Finally I decided to grab her, a flashlight and a radio and hang out in the closet for awhile, just to be safe. It may have been an overreaction, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.
So the whole family got really cozy for about 30 minutes... and I mean COZY. With Matt, Abby, 100-pound Chestnut, myself, and my larger-than-normal belly, it made for very cramped quarters. Finally, we heard on the radio that the tornado warning expired and we finally allowed ourselves to leave the closet. We heard on the news that there was some serious damage in the next town over and they were determining if it was a tornado or not. Very interesting experience for this Arizona girl.
5 comments:
We heard the sirens too - and they sounded a lot closer than I was comfortable with! Luckily our apartment is on the bottom floor, but the same thought crossed my mind - what would we do if we didn't have a safe place to go?
I really want to get together soon, but I've had a killer cold for the last 5 days or so and I'm waiting until I get better before making plans.
Glad to hear the closet was a safe haven : )
SO not an overreaction, sweetie. Being a midwestern girl, Tornado drills were a part of my upbringing. When they sound the siren, you hide out wherever is safest in your home. Period. Good thinking with the closet! Any windowless bathrooms in your home are also a good option, specifically on the bottom floor.
Funny thing is I always LOVED hiding out...in fact, I kind of miss it! Be sure to keep candles and matches wherever your hide-out place is. Power outages are common ;-)
Love you!
wow.. what an experience! I would be scared out of my mind. Good thing Matt was there with you. Hope you are feeling well.
I'm so out of it I didn't even know there was a tornado warning until this morning. Eliana and Addie were unusually whiny last night, and I guess their cries drowned out the sirens. Get used to those warnings, though. The become more frequent in the spring and summer. Your little bathroom would be a good place to hide because it's in the center of your house and doesn't have windows. Welcome to "tornado alley."
well, whatever you do, DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR UNIFORMED NEIGHBOR WHO GIVES BAD ADVICE! ooops.
;-(((((
You did good... always better to be safe than sorry! ;-)
Post a Comment