Sunday, December 21, 2008

To Grandmother's house we go....

This week we leave to spend Christmas at the North Pole. Well, not quite the North Pole, but pretty darn close. We're going to a land far, far away known as Wisconsin. While we are very excited to make this journey, I can't help but remember an experience I had the last time I was there.

Have you ever stepped outside your nice, warm house only to have your nose hairs instantly freeze upon contact with the cold air outside? If you've ever visited WI in the winter you have. Not a pleasant experience. And as much as I'm excited to see family and show Abby the snow, I'm not looking forward to the frigid (and I mean FRIGID!) temperatures that are awaiting us there.

Now, I've lived in cold places before. Salt Lake City had some pretty cold days (and having recess duty at school outside during those days was not fun). Pittsburgh got REALLY cold (talk about having cabin fever all winter long...you couldn't even leave the house, it was so cold!). But next week in Hewitt, WI, wind chills will hit 25-30 below zero. Yuck, yuck, yuck.

My father-in-law keeps threatening to take me ice fishing. Thank God I'm pregnant this year (just like last year) and have an excuse. Poor, Abby. It won't be long before he is threatening to take her too. She is probably tougher than me though, being born in Pittsburgh and all.

So, those of you that will be enjoying Christmas in your warm weather climates, please take a moment to think of us, freezing our you-know-whats off. Those of you who have to celebrate Christmas trying to ward off frostbite, I'll be feeling your pain.

3 comments:

AyeletD said...

That's really too bad...we'll be thinking of you while in the balmy 80 degree temps of Mexico. ;-)

But, you're not really cold until your eyelashes freeze together.

Have a great time!
-Ayelet

Erica said...

Oh I will be sharing in your experience for sure; although I've had a week already to "get used to it". (and by getting used to it, I mean becoming totally housebound)

Happy Holidays, sweetie! Hugs to the FOUR of you!!

Unknown said...

Oh Janice, You're so funny... what the heck is your address?? I want to send you a card - I LOVED yours. The little Abby girl is beautiful.

It's gray and rainy here.

missin you!

clairebear