Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I think we've finally done it...

Well, I think we've finally weaned Abby from her final middle-of-the-night feeding. For almost eleven months, Abby has gotten at least one night-time visit from Mommy (which is nothing considering she got at least four visits a night for the first six months). I had been hesitant to wean her from this final feeding because it was the one feeding she ate the best - no distractions at 3 in the morning.

Last night, Abby slept from 7pm- 6am (and would've slept longer if Daddy hadn't gone to work at six and the opened the garage door,waking her up) without eating. Yay! Now, as much as I relish the idea of not having to stumble out of my nice, warm bed and across the house to nurse my child in the middle of the night, I think I am actually going to miss these feedings. I know it sounds nuts, but there's nothing like cuddling with your baby at 3am, just rocking her back to sleep, feeling her head resting on your shoulder. The fact that she is completely sleeping through the night now reminds me of the fact that she is growing up, and growing fast. I spent the first several months of her life struggling as a mother and wishing she would just grow up already. Now, I'm wishing for time to stand still and cherishing every moment with her.

In seven months or so, things will drastically change again. Abby will no longer be our only child, and I will go back to several mid-night feedings again. I guess I better enjoy my sleep while I still can.

4 comments:

Mommy Love said...

awww, this growing up business is just too hard on us mommies! Dropping a feeding really is bitter-sweet... it's all we complain about one minute and then miss it the next. What's wrong with us?? ha.ha. Enjoy your sleep for now, you will get to relish it all again soon.
oh, btw, i think you've done outstanding to have made it 11 months w/out a full nights sleep... no bags under your eyes or anything. i would have never guessed! ha.ha. OH and Way To Go Abby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trisha said...

That is great news! I am happy that you will at least get a few full night sleeps in before you have to do it all over again :) Way to go Abby! miss you.

malitha said...

I remember weaning Addie and feeling sad, too. Don't worry- you'll still be waking up in the middle of the night to make trips to the bathroom before that next baby makes it here! Try to get some sleep!!

Christina said...

congrats! wish Ellia would sleep a little longer because I am feeling the need for some good sleep. It is so hard to go back to sleep when you get up in the middle of the night. I hear you on enjoying the time with her at night though. I just study her and usually say some prayers during this time. She seems to be growing to me so much. She is getting too big for newborn stuff now. Enjoy your pregnancy as well. I miss being pregnant. I am so excited for you and can't wait to be kept in the loop with news.