Saturday, February 26, 2011

Dear Abby....

Dear Abby,


I can't believe THREE YEARS have come and gone since that snowy winter day you joined our family and made me a mother.  What an eventful three years it has been, full of living and learning, stress and frustration, and more joy than I could have ever imagined.  You are growing into quite a young lady - one that I couldn't be more proud of. 

At age three, Abby Elizabeth, you:

... are one of the SILLIEST kids I know.  You LOVE throwing out the most random statements at the most random times and thoroughly enjoy snickering about it afterwards. I have a feeling this may get you in trouble in the future...

...already have quite a large group of friends.  Being with your friends is already so important to you, that sometimes you don't want to go somewhere unless one of your friends will be there too.  You often ask me to text someone's mommy to make sure they will be the same place you are.  I can't believe this begins so early!


...a wonderful little preschooler.  You love going to school and do very well when you are there.  I'm always amazed at how easily you walk into that classroom when I drop you off.  Very independent, you are.  I sometimes have to beg for a goodbye kiss.  Mommy who?


...LOVE to sing and dance and are constantly doing so.  Your weekly Kindermusik classes are one of your favorite things to do (and mine as well, since I get to sing and dance right along with you...I CHERISH that time with you).


...have a favorite color: YELLOW and you like to tell people about your favorite color every chance you get.  Perhaps it is because you are so bright and happy.  Or maybe it is because yellow is the color of most of your collection of rubber duckies (of which you have a slight obsession).

...are such a daddy's -girl.  You ADORE your daddy, and he adores you.  I love that you already have a special relationship with him and I pray that continues into your adulthood...


...love imaginary play.  And I love to watch you play with your dolls, your fingers, your food - you turn anything and everything into toys with which you play.  Kind of annoying at dinnertime, but fun to watch just the same.

...are finally completely potty trained - even at night! What an ordeal that was, but I learned a lot from it.  Mostly that you will do things in your own time and your own way and to give up trying to control everything (a lesson I have a feeling I will keep having to relearn as you continue to grow up). 



...are incredibly smart. You ask me a question, then correct me as if you already knew the answer. You can argue like no other (already...yikes!) and your Daddy loves your negotiation skills. Sometimes you are too smart for you own good, but I love your spunk.


...are learning to be compassionate.  Of course, you have your selfish moments, as every three-year-old has, but more and more I'm seeing you thinking of other people.  Sharing your toys. Donating your things to those who have less.  Comforting people who are sad.  Bad days become wonderful days when you take my face in your hands and tell me, "Don't be sad, mommy.  I love you." Melts my heart.


...like to bake with mommy (even though I can't really bake...mixes count, right?) I really enjoy that time spent together creating something yummy that we can eat later...



...have embraced your role as big sister.  You are always concerned about Jake when he cries or falls down. If you get a treat, you make sure Jake has one too.  You also steal his toys, push him, tease him and tattle on him.  You've REALLY embraced the big sister role.  But my favorite thing to see is at night before you go to sleep, you HAVE to have a kiss from Jake.  You refuse to settle down without one.  I love that about you two. 


...are a wonderful child of God, so full of promise and potential. You are absolutely beautiful, inside and out.  At three, you've shown me what a unique and awesome little person you are.  You surprise me every day and I know that the older you get, the closer you are to going out and conquering this crazy world we live in.  Every year that goes by just brings me closer to the day when I have to let you go, but I pray that God will give me the wisdom to raise you to be the woman He wants you to be. And that He will encourage and protect you along the way. 



Happy Birthday, Sweet Abby! I love you, my daughter, with all my of heart...and I ALWAYS will:)

Love,                      
Mommy                     

3 comments:

Devoted Mommy said...

Sniff sniff. That's all I can say.

Mommy Love said...

Awwww, so sweet!! She is definitly the sweetest girl ever and YOOOOOU, my friend, are the best mommy EVER!!! love u both! : )

Christina said...

Janice, just catching up on all your posts! This is my favorite and I cried through most of it. I love what you wrote to Abby. I guess being a mom of a growing little girl and reading what you wrote really touched my heart. She is a beautiful girl inside and out and partly because of the beautiful mom she has to show her the way! Thanks for sharing your heart with all of us.